08 December, 2006

Garda Patrol

24 November 2006

Re: Parking on Bicycle lanes

Dear Superintendent Leahy,

I write to request that you dedicate more resources to ensuring that vehicles do not park on bicycle lanes. I cycle with my two young children to school every morning, and almost every morning vehicles are parked in the cycle lane on the way.

This morning a Garda vehicle parked in the lane and the driver remained in the vehicle while his colleague went into the adjoining delicatessen. I tapped on the window of the vehicle and asked the driver not to park on the bicycle lane. The driver told me he had the right to park there, and asked me did I have lights on my bike (which I did!).

Superintendent, your men and women deserve respect, but they have to earn it. My boys learnt a lesson this morning that will remain with them for some time to come. They appreciate the value of bicycle lanes being kept free of vehicles, but on a regular basis vehicles (including Garda vehicles) park in that lane in order to go into the shop.

Can I make a plea to you that you will discuss the issue with the driver of that car, and that you will try and ensure that bicycle lanes are kept free of vehicles?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,

Ciarán Cuffe

------------------------------------------------------

6 December 2006

Re: Parking on Bicycle lanes

Dear Mr. Cuffe,

I am in receipt of your letter of 24 November 2006 and I thank you for bringing this to my attention.

Inspector Gerry Donnelly has spoken to the member concerned and I have issued appropriate instructions to all drivers in this District.

Yours sincerely,

John Leahy Superintendent

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"appropriate instructions"?

Like, see this photo? Watch out for this guy and make sure you're not parked in a cycle lane if he's going past with his kids.